Monday, April 13, 2009

Satisfaction

The fulfillment or gratification of a desire, need, or appetite.

After completing the portrait of Rose and my recent still life drawing it occurred to me that each painting or drawing feeds my appetite to explore the visual world. What keeps me going to the next painting? Sometimes I feel a bit beaten down by my lack of technical prowess, but there is a lot more that drives me besides perfection. It's not the ability to represent a person or object on a 2D surface but to try to describe the character or beauty that inspires.



What would attract someone to purchase and hang an anonymous portrait by an unknown or 'emerging artist'? I imagine it's the same curiosity and desire to connect that compels people to sit in a park, airport or shopping mall and just watch. Looking at our models as they sit for us occasionally slight smiles pass over their faces. Every person or thing has history. I don't think most people can just turn themselves off. One model recently told me he sometimes passes the time when posing by remembering his grade school teachers. I have had the pleasure of working with some extraordinary models, but he is perhaps the stillest model I've ever seen in my short career, but now I will be looking for that spark in his eyes as he remembers that teacher who may have inspired him. If I can 'capture' that I will be satisfied.... for now.


2 comments:

Deborah Allison said...

John, Your work is amazing and I am proud to be your "pod-mate". The All-Stars are star quality. And you musings are a pleasure to read!

krista said...

Hi John,
I love the shoes. This is one of my favorite drawings I have seen anyone do for quite a while!